YouTube Channel

Celebreight Yourself now has a Youtube channel!

You can also find more of my writing at three great websites: Large in Charge magazine, Fierce, Freethinking Fatties, and More of Me to Love. Links are below.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Recommended Reading: Great Fat Books

Few things are more satisfying than a really good read. I have been a book lover for as long as I can remember. Even before I could read, I was fascinated with them. Small wonder that they have become so important in my life.

I love books of all kinds, but some of the books that are the most special to me are books about fat. Some of them fall into the non-fiction category and some are novels, but both genres have the same things in common: they are about women like me and I have never forgotten them.

These books have earned prized places on my bookshelf and in my heart. I would like to share them with you in case they haven't graced your life yet. I guarantee that you will find something familiar, encouraging, supportive, cathartic, and uplifting in every single one.

I hope you enjoy my list, and as I say in my video, if you know of any books that you would like to recommend to me or any other readers, please comment and let me know.


THE LIST

Fat!So? by Marilyn Wann. 1998, Ten Speed Press.

Shadow on a Tightrope: Writings by Women on Fat Oppression. 1983, Aunt Lute Book Company.

No Fat Chicks, by Terry Poulton. 1996, Key Porter Books.

Succulent Wild Woman, by SARK. 1997, Fireside Books.

Fat Girl: A True Story, by Judith Moore. 2005, Hudson Street Press.

Confessions of a Carb Queen, by Susan Blech with Caroline Bock. 2008, Rodale.

Lady Oracle, by Margaret Atwood. 1976, Seal Books.

Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York, by Gail Parent. 1972, Bantam Books.

Two Girls, Fat and Thin, by Mary Gaitskill. 1991, Bantam Books.

She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. 1992, Pocket Books.

2 comments:

  1. I recommend, "Health At Every Size" by Dr. Linda Bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent recommendation, Andrea! That is a fantastic book as well. I believe it started the whole HAES movement.

    ReplyDelete